Thursday, April 19, 2007

Easter Week - Holy Thursday

April 5


As some of you are probably aware, I do not know much about the Episcopal faith or the Catholic faith having been raised a Baptist. I know there are similarities. Any how, I attend a wonderful Baptist church at home and I go to the Protestant Services here on Sunday. However, this week I became an honorary Catholic beginning with the attendance of Holy Thursday services. It all began Thursday afternoon while working. The Padre came into the OR as he and the chaplain often do when we are working. We began chit chatting. I told him a few of the women I knew had made this 9 mile round trip hike to the lake and the single palm tree. The significance is that next to the tree are 3 crosses. They were very moved finding these during Easter week. I asked the Padre if they ever had services there during Easter Sunday. He mentioned that they do and we started talking about the different events the chapel has going on this week. One of them being Holy Thursday service and the reenactment of the last supper. Wow, I thought how exciting to attend an reenactment. I had already heard the readings and taken communion the previous Sunday but I thought I would like to attend. Well, might I say I was taken in by the word "reenactment". I was truly expecting folks to act out parts and ect. But I was disappointed on this aspect alone. It was interesting to hear about the washing of the feet and the meaning behind it all. Then to see the Padre wash 6 individuals feet (especially stinky soldier feet that have been in boots!) was a little moving.

I've included a picture of Padre Bautistojas in his finest "Barney" attire. Granted it is what their faith requires him to wear for this service and I would have been okay with that; however, when he started singing the "I love you" song as we greeted each other, I thought I'd pee in my pants from laughter.

No comments: