Monday, April 9, 2007

First Sandstorm

































April 6

The weather has been very warm and humid lately. Not too uncomfortable so far. However, we have experienced a few sandstorms. I've included a few pictures. Not the ones you would see in the movie "The Mummy", but bad enough to bother the eyes and make you want to bathe 5 times a day. I am still hoping to get a picture of a really good one.


This is my pal Stuart and LCDR Chris Carr (general surgeon from Bremerton, WA) modeling our finest desert wear. Notice the goggles and bandana used by many to keep the sand out of eyes and mouth.


Next is myself and CDR Chris Haughton and LCDR Valerie Meade (OR Nurses from Camp Lejeune, NC) as we fight the wind leaving the chow hall (seen in the background). Both Chris and Valerie were originally in Al Asad but they were made homeless when the Army took over the hospital. So being the decent navy folk that we are, we kindly ensured that they would be welcomed in our home instead of returning to the United States. Aren't we hospitable? Oh, and also notice the three women without their goggles and any bandanas. I actually lost mine the day I went shooting. Go figure! I was concentrating so hard on sightseeing and taking pictures that I did not notice they weren't on my helmet when I got off the bus. It will be a long summer without them.

No comments: