Monday, May 21, 2007

Smole

We have had a few sandstorms here and the only nice thing about them is they make it cooler. Maybe it is because they block out the sun. Who knows? All I know is last week it went from 118 to 80's and 90's and it was wonderful. Well, as long as you didn't mind the dirt in your mouth, ears, eyes, hair,... Any who, we were told that it was SMOLE season. Which meant we would be getting sandstorms intermittently through out. I couldn't find the word "smole" to mean "sandstorm" on the web but I did find these great pictures.

This photo was taken here in Iraq in I believe 2006. It is not my base as far as I know but does give you an idea of the sandstorms in this area.

Here is another one taken here in Iraq. (Remember, I got these off the web)

The next few were take from Harlan's camera on our base last week. He was the only one who had his camera with him and could catch the wall as it moved in. We were a little mesmerized by what we were seeing and how fast it came in. Notice the blue sky to the right and the wall of sand beginning to cover up the sky.

Goodbye blue sky. Goodbye heat (for a little while at least)


The sandstorm is just beginning to hit in this one. We didn't stay outside much longer after this shot.

No comments: